We have moved to our new blog home!

Click HERE to visit us there.


Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Roses Are Red, Violets are Blue.....

Hello! Hope everyone is ready for a little DCRU Inspiration today. I want to show you how to make some awesome faux roses using Mays Art Ribbon that is available at the DCRU Store.

The reason I use Mays Art Ribbon is because of the width 5/8" and both sides are silky, so whichever way you turn the ribbon it's the same:



First of all, choose your flower backing. I use a matching felt shade. Simply cut out a circle (doesn't have to be perfect) to get started. I then use my hot glue gun to adhere my ribbon to the felt. I tie my ribbon in a knot and use that as my center:



I then start twisting my ribbon around the knot and tacking it down every now and then with my hot glue. Once I'm done I simply tuck the last snippet of ribbon under the rose. If you want your roses more fluffy simply layer some ribbon on top of ribbon. And when your rose is the size and shape you want, cut off the excess felt:



And here is what the finished roses should look like:



I was inspired to make these roses after watching Erin Bassett's Fabric Flower Video Tutorial. Check it out to see the technique I used for twisting and tacking my ribbon to the felt.

And what did I do with those adorable flowers? I made a wall hanging:





Enjoy!!!

20 comments:

~*Joni said...

EEEEEK Amber! This is wonderful! What a beautiful tutorial and a great inspiration with those flowers. Your step by step is amazing, I can't wait to try this out. And I love the final project, what a great wall hanging full of love and flowers. Thank you so much for inspiring me!

♥ Kristy Woods ♥ said...

WOW!!! This is fabulous!!! Will defiantly have to give that a try.
Kristy x

Gwen's Busy Little Hands said...

Amber I love your wall hanging! The roses could be used for so many crafts...I'm going to give this a try...Thanks!

Smiles!
Gwen

JAN said...

fantastic turorial ty for sharing

cheryl said...

oh fab tutorial hun love the roses they look so effective hugs cheryl xxx

Cara said...

Amber, these roses are precious!! TFS! Your wall hanging is adorable!

Sheri Gilson said...

WOW!! Amber, this is gorgeous!! I love the ribbon flowers and can't wait to try out your tutorial!!

Jingle said...

Thanks so much! These are so cute!!!

- - Sheryl - - said...

Love the ribbon, nice sheen.
I have not made ribbon roses in forever!!! I first learned from Allene's - you know from Allene's Glue - she used to have a weekly show on TV back a long long time ago.

Using the felt is a great idea to keep it stable. the way I learned - you held it down and stitched it in place. I like your way better.

Sandy from Ukiah said...

Oh that is just beautiful.

Yvette said...

Wow! These are beautiful Amber!!! I will have to give this a try!

Stacie (craft-princess) said...

Beautiful!! I have seen this done with crepe but never ribbon! Great idea!

LORi said...

WOWZA Amber!!! These are beyond fabulous!! Great Job!! Just Beautiful - the flowers and your card!!

HUGS - LORi

BJ said...

Your flowers turned out soo nice. Thanks for sharing. And your wall hanging, soo cute.

Sheryl K said...

WOW those are beautiful!! Gonna have to give that a try sometime!! Thanks for sharing!!

Sheryl K said...

WOW those are beautiful!! Gonna have to give that a try sometime!! Thanks for sharing!!

Kristen H said...

What a very cool idea, and helpful, easy to follow tutorial. I love this, and it is something even a non-sewer can do! Love it, thank you so much for sharing!

LollyChops said...

These are so amazing I can hardly stand it! It's not right that I have a whole day to get through before I can head home to make them myself!!!

Thanks for sharing such a fabulous tutorial Amber!

monika said...

You are sure talented. Love these flowers. Off to see more inspiring beautiful things. Thanks for sharing.

Erin Bassett said...

Those are gorgeous! So glad I could inspire you. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin